Ninety-two percent of global technologists admit that the rush to rapidly innovate and respond to the changing needs of customers and users has come at the expense of robust application security during software development, according to new Cisco AppDynamics research, “The shift to a security approach for the full application stack.”
The research reveals that 89% of technologists report that their organisation has experienced an expansion in its attack surfaces over the last two years.
As IT teams have accelerated release velocity and built more dynamic applications across more platforms, application security hasn’t kept pace.
And 58% of technologists admit that their organisation often ends up in “security limbo” because they don’t know what to focus on and prioritise.
However, organisations are now looking ahead and are willing to break down the silos within the IT department and bridging the gap between IT operations and security. 43% have already started taking a DevSecOps approach, and 46% are currently considering making the shift.
The shift to a security approach for the full application stack research was conducted between July and August 2022 and includes finding from 1,150 IT professionals interviewed across 13 markets worldwide, including Australia.
Key Australian takeaways from the report include:
- 94% of Australian technologists report that their organisation has seen an expansion in its attack surfaces (over the last two years)
- 83% of Australian respondents stated the rush to innovate during the pandemic came at the expense of robust application security
- 93% of Australian technologists report that a lack of application security skills and resources is now an issue for their organisation
- 74% report that their current security solutions work well in silos but not together
Key global takeaways from the report include:
- Top global applications security challenges for 2023 include: lack of visibility into attacks surfaces and difficulty prioritising threats
- 81% of technologists report that a lack of application security skills and resources is now an issue for their organisations
- 78% feel that their organisation is vulnerable to a multi-staged security attack over the next 12 months
- 93% believe that it’s important to be able to contextualise security
- More than a third of technologists report that their ITOps teams only collaborate with security teams when there is a potential issue, if at all
- 79% of technologists state that the implementation of a security approach for the full application stack is now a priority for their organisation.